Today, as Matt Dowd said, "the Republican party has become a toxic waste dump of Big Lie autocracy and denialism." I'd add to that Kurt Bardella's observation that, "This is a party that believes in absolutely nothing except trying to obtain power, and then weaponizing that power to control other people."
I empathize with Rusty Bowers--a member of my faith who was the Republican Speaker of the House in Arizona until he refused to help Trump overturn Arizona election results--when he lamented, "The constitution is hanging by a thread. The funny thing is, I always thought it would be the other guys. And it's my side. That rips at my heart: that we would be the people who would surrender the constitution in order to win an election. That just blows my mind."
I'm no longer a Republican. But even if I wished to rejoin their ranks, I couldn't. I would be labeled a RINO and quickly canceled. Here's why:
- I categorically, unequivocally reject Trump and Trumpism.
- Likewise, I reject autocrats and authoritarianism.
- I reject the thoroughly discredited lie that the 2020 presidential election was rigged or stolen.
- I'm focused on winning the next election, not the last one.
- I believe in counting votes, not "finding" them.
- I didn't vote for Trump. Not even once.
- I agree with Trump being impeached (both times) and believe that he should have been convicted (both times).
- I reject Donald Trump's assertion that I and half of my fellow Americans are "vermin" who should be "rooted out" and "crushed" because of our political views.
- I reject the assertion that the Constitution can be suspended when a president deems it politically expedient.
- I'm not OK with representatives of my party advocating secession from the union.
- I believe that the Civil War was fought primarily over slavery.
- I’m pro-democracy.
- I view constitutional democracy as the non-optional foundation of the United States of America.
- I believe that democracy means sharing power and playing by the same rules.
- I understand and accept that being pro-democracy requires me to sustain and protect democratic institutions.
- I understand and accept that being pro-democracy requires me to accept the results of elections that my preferred candidates lose.
- I understand and accept that being pro-democracy requires me to live in a society with people with whom I disagree.
- I believe in the rule of law, not the law by those who rule.
- I fly my American flag right-side-up.
- My slogan for the January 6 insurrection is, "Never Forget" not "Never Happened."
- I consider "Heads we win; tails it's rigged" a joke, not an election strategy.
- I'd rather lose an election than vote for an unapologetically immoral (or amoral) candidate.
- I refuse to rationalize pussy grabbing.
- I refuse to accept or normalize sexual predation.
- I still believe that character counts.
- I lack a furtive fondness for fascism.
- Objective reality matters to me.
- My reality comes from sources other than Fox News and social media.
- I make a distinction between news I don’t like and fake news.
- I make a distinction between declaring victory and actually winning.
- I make a distinction between claims and evidence.
- I also make a distinction between skepticism and denialism.
- I don't believe that the ends justify the means.
- I don't start with the conclusion Trump is right and then work backward to prove it.
- I don’t do cults of personality.
- I'm unwilling to invoke God or my religion to justify my political ideologies or the way I vote.
- As a devout Christian, I oppose weaponizing Christianity and view Christian nationalism as a threat to both the nation and Christianity.
- I believe in the Christian ethic of loving both neighbors and enemies.
- I don't think that every governmental policy I dislike is socialism.
- I believe that intra-party cannibalization aimed at enforcing loyalty to a failed former president is idiotic and backward-thinking.
- I accept that rights are inseparable from responsibilities, and I'm willing to be responsible.
- I'm a moderate who believes in mutually beneficial legislative compromise.
- I vote for moderate candidates who are willing to reach across the aisle and negotiate deals, not uncompromising ideological zealots.
- Mitt Romney, John McCain, Liz Cheney and Rusty Bowers are my political heroes.
- I like American soldiers who were captured.
- In the Russia-Ukraine war, I support Ukraine, not Putin.
- I try to understand the perspective and reasoning of those with whom I disagree.
- I'm happy to talk to and be friends with people whose political views I oppose.
- I don't think that people with whom I disagree politically are "the enemy within."
- I am neither defined nor driven by grievances.
- Revenge is not my life philosophy.
- I refuse to entertain or even wink at conspiracy theories and the fever swamps that breed their dark fantasies.
- I oppose the alt-truth movement, no matter how often its fabricated "facts" are repeated.
- I believe that gaslighting is a depraved form of revising history, not a legitimate political tactic.
- I refuse to be a propagandist or simp for aspiring dictators.
- I don't want to belong to a party of extremists, militias and QAnon kooks.
- Nor do I want to belong to a party of racists and xenophobes.
- Nor do I wish to belong to a party of the perpetually aggrieved.
- My primary reasons for voting are not fear, hate and vengeance.
- I agree with the leaders of my church that, "principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties."
- I agree with the leaders of my church that, "our loyalty is to the Constitution and its principles and processes, not to any officeholder.”
- I agree with the leaders of my church that autocratic ambitions corrupt democracy.
- I agree with the leaders of my church that, "we should never assert that a faithful Latter-day Saint cannot belong to a particular party or vote for a particular candidate.”
- I agree with President Joe Biden that, "You can't love your country only when you win."
- I see the irony in MAGA supporters holding "Stop the Steal" signs.
- I despise demagogues, bullies and sycophants.
- I believe the burden of proof falls on the party making the accusation.
- I believe that evidence, not allegations, leads to credibility.
- I believe that legislators should focus on legislating rather than performance art on cable news shows and social media.
- I’m not a culture warrior. To me culture wars have become, "tales told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
- I actually support law enforcement, even when they’re guarding the building I’m storming.
- I believe in law and order, even when the violent mob is white.
- I refuse to downplay, excuse or flirt with white nationalism for the sake of votes.
- I reject Trump's racist claim that immigrants are "poisoning the blood of our country."
- I take narcissistic personality disorder seriously.
- I’m concerned with the growing national debt—even when a Republican president is running it up.
- I can see the pros of globalism and the cons of nationalism.
- I oppose tariffs as an economic policy because they result in a tax on American consumers, unemployment and recessions.
- I oppose efforts to make voting more difficult for minority and low-income Americans.
- Likewise, I oppose gerrymandering.
- I believe that Jim Crow-esque "voting protection" laws being passed by Trumpist state politicians are disingenuous solutions in search of a problem.
- I oppose book bans and read banned books.
- I favor common-sense gun control legislation.
- I realize that the vast majority of "the government" are regular people like me and my neighbors, not sinister men in black suits and sunglasses.
- I believe that cozying up to dictators and authoritarian strongmen is bad foreign policy.
- I believe that insulting and alienating our global allies is bad foreign policy.
- I believe that isolationism is a moronically, demonstrably bad foreign policy.
- I believe that voting against one's own policy goals in order to make legislating more difficult for the other party is asinine.
- I'm an opponent of anti-intellectualism, and do not believe that democracy mandates that one person's ignorance is just as good as another person's knowledge.
- I believe in science.
- I believe that denying climate change is a tragically short-sighted environmental policy.
- I willingly got vaccinated (and boosted) for Covid-19.
- I believe wearing masks, getting vaccinated and social distancing during a global pandemic are public health issues, not political positions.
- I'm horrified that the anti-vaxx movement--once on par with the Flat Earth Society--has now expanded to encompass more than a third of the Republican party.
Any one of these reasons would disqualify me from being a member of the modern-day, MAGA Republican party. And that's just fine because as long as the unctuous Trump-enablers, party-over-country politicos, red state secessionists, wild-eyed conspiracy theorists, unabashed bigots, spineless lickspittles and authoritarian-strongman-wannabes remain at the helm, I will actively oppose the Republican party every chance I get.
- Timothy L. O'Brien (Trump biographer)



No comments:
Post a Comment